I have been working on patching a program that computes the homfly
polynomial of knots and links, in order to use it as a shared library. I
would like to include it as an optional sage package in the mid term, so we
could use it in the knot theory module that is being worked on (by the way,
ticket #17030 needs review).

The program is available here:

[1] http://burtleburtle.net/bob/knot/homfly.html

The last version was writen in 2010, and i haven't heard any news about it
since then.

I have my patched version in

[2] https://github.com/miguelmarco/libhomfly.

So, considering all this, which would be the best way to go?

1) Include the tarball from [1] in the package and patch it in installation
time.
2) Create a tarball from [2] and treat it as upstream.

I know that the standard way to go is 1), but in this case, it is not
maintained at all. Of course, in the option 2), there isn't really a
maintainer right now (i just dug into the code enough to patch the
input/output, strimmed the printf commands, and changed memory allocation
to boehm to prevent memory leaks; but i didn't look into the internals of
how the computations are actually done)... but i think we would be slightly
closer to it than in option 1).

Thoughts?