It looks like curl <https://curl.haxx.se/>, which was formerly installed by
R installation, must now be installed
<https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Essential-programs-and-libraries>

in order to install R.

One can note that a problem will rarely exists, since most Sage users have
curl installed in their system. However, a user having only sage installed
(e. g. Sage's virtual machine for Windows) will see it...

If we want to keep R a standard package, we have to either

   - patch R and add curl's installation (heavy : the R core Team threw the
   towel on it),
   - add curl to Sage's prerequisites (lighter to us, but still heavy to
   the users),
   - or make it a standard package, on which R must depend.

The latter solution has my reference(much simpler).

What is yours ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier