Le lundi 24 octobre 2016 15:31:36 UTC+2, Michael Orlitzky a écrit :

> On 10/24/2016 06:41 AM, Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> > In between?
> >
> >  * having a curl pacakge that will be installed if not present on the
> > system (~the same way we deal with gcc)
> >

> And the same for pcre and xz. Check for it in ./configure, and give us a
> way to override it, like --with-xz[=path].

Not the same problem. To detect curl, it is enough to find an executable
named "curl" in the path. As far as I know, R uses a library, and this is
known to be not so easy to find.

[ I'm currently looking at autotools tutorials to understand how to check
for this kind of things, and start to wonder in which fire I've jumped from
our familiar frying pan... ]

The same is true for pcre.

Bonus question : how can the R package depend of such a package that would
install nothing ?

Alternative : in the spkg-install script, test somehow for the existence of
the sought binary/library, and do nothing if found. Would such a trick
still mark the package as installed ?