On 26/10/2016 09:59, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 9:24:35 AM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier
wrote:

    Le mercredi 26 octobre 2016 09:18:06 UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :

        <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21767>>. The
        > unconditional installation works okay on top of 7.5beta0.
        >
        > The conditional installation can probably be obtained with
        this bash
        > snippet, at the top of spkg-install :

        Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, such checks are
        better
        done in the top-level configure instead.

    I'm not so sure : harder to do, harder to understand, not obvious at
    reading the spkg-install script. But cleaner, indeed.

One good reason is that when two packages will depend on curl we don't
need to duplicate code.

??? I don't understand your point : the code being at the top of curl's spkg-install script, it has not to be duplicated (nor executed twice : curl would be marked as installed, and packages depending on it wouldn't trigger it twice.

Putting something analogous in the main (Sage's) configure scriptt would mean integrating curl in Sage itself. R being a standard package and depending on curl, it would amount to the same thing. In which case, "packaging" curl (i. e. create a distinct software entity) is nonsense ; just add it to Sage's source tarball and, indeed, add the necessray voodoo in configure (or, rather, to its sources, if any).

I'm not sure I'm following you...

Furthermore :

    BTW, I'm having second thoughts on the wisdom of installing
    conditionally to the current system's state. I'll open the
    discussion in another thread.

--
Emmanuel Charpentier