Thanks Samuel for poping this discussion. on sage-devel.

I have only have random remarks:

- Among mathematical softwares that offer external packages the example of R is particulary impressive (9598 packages) [1].

- Relying on Python packaging and PyPI might be too limited for Sage at some point (tricky dependencies, Sage recompilation needed)

- We want to test these optional packages against each sage release and for that purpose we need a kind of proper database (and extend the patchbot functionalities)

- the wiki is a good start for a small manually handled database

Vincent

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/