On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Isuru Fernando <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've packaged sage 7.5.1 for conda for linux and have uploaded it to
> anaconda.org.
>
> To try it out you can do on linux with miniconda3, (Downloads about 1 GB)
>
>     conda create -n sage sage sage-spkg-sources -c isuruf -c conda-forge
>
> This was a hacky build and I don't expect everything to work properly. sage
> command, sage notebook, gap, maxima and a few packages I've checked works.
>
> There were 86 standard packages in conda-forge and default channel.
> (conda-forge is a community effort, see https://conda-forge.github.io/).
> These conda packages were used instead of sage's packages
>
> 74 standard packages were built in the docker container
> condaforge/linux-anvil with SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes, which should make the
> packages compatible with distros as old as CentOS 6. I used sage's build
> process to create these, kept track of which files were created and copied
> them over to a conda package.
>
> Things to note are,
> 1. anaconda.org r channel is incompatible with conda-forge. So rpy2 and r is
> not bundled, but conda-forge has started packaging the r packages.
> 2. only the SAGE_LOCAL folder is packaged. So no development.
> 3. sage-env is sourced when the env is activated, but the deactivation
> doesn't seem to work properly. Your shell session may become unusable.
> 4. pinning needs to happen so that ABI compatibility is there.
> 5. Packages are built with gmp.
> 6. miniconda2 has issues with path names having non-ASCII characters, so you
> have to use miniconda3 as your root environment.
>
> Anybody interested in making proper conda packages for the remaining 74
> packages and sage itself?

Thanks a lot for this!  Some of us have talked a lot about trying to
make conda packages for Sage and its dependencies.  It's definitely an
idea I support, at least in principle.  Just nobody until now (that I
know of) has taken the time to sit down and actually try to do it.
Part of the problem is that not many of us are that familiar with
conda.  I'm mostly familiar with it by using it, but it's been years
since I've made a package for it (last time I did the project was
still in its infancy and I had to ask directly for their build tools).

I would definitely be interested in helping with this.