as far as I know, limiting to 16 bit exponents for _input_ was introduced
to prevent undetected overflows;
it must be one of the tickets

https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/630
https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/631
https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/696
https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/698

see commits in February 2015, like
https://github.com/Singular/Sources/commit/fc77091687ca4452f82b084b30f8522dec3b357d

There is a history of overflow issues in Singular, for example see
https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/232
https://www.singular.uni-kl.de:8005/trac/ticket/414

Thus I suspect (without proof) that it is still possible to construct
various examples leading to overflows in the results.

So can someone try to find new(unknown) overflow issues in recent Singular?

Jakob