If I were an administrator of a computer network at
an industrial, governmental, or educational operation,
I would not want people downloading risky software
to their workstations.  Theft of passwords, confidential
information, access to health, financial, accounts etc
is a growing concern.  It's not that anything has
necessarily changed technically, just there's more attention
to this security issue.

It has been policy for years now, that you cannot even
take your laptop computer into some (US) government
offices.

I don't know of any workable solutions (and only one
not-so-workable one involving a trusted virtual machine).
RJF