On 2017-10-14 11:50, John Cremona wrote:
How can we be sure that new code witten by people (like me) who are
not python2/3 experts does not regress?

I think it's also important to mention that Cython is quite different from plain Python in this regard. Cython generally tries to be compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3. This means that some Python 2 only code like xrange() or dict.iteritems() works in Cython with Python 3. Also, some Python 3 only code works on Python 2. For example, keyword-only arguments, f-strings, new super(), yield from.