Hello,

here is a small report on the *slow* progress towards python3-compatibility
for sage.

Sage is already building and starting with python3 since some time already.
It is explained in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15530 how to get a
python3-sage. One can note an even longer startup time (sigh).

There has been recent progress on the pexpect interfaces and lib
interfaces, so this sage3 is now somewhat usable. Try it !

Our next goal is to get the documentation build. After that, one will have
to make all doctest pass, but we are still a *long* way from that.
Another interesting step would be to be able to launch the jupyter notebook
with sage3. Currently, it looks for the sage kernel in the python2 library
(no ticket yet).

The current result of trying to build the doc can be seen here :

https://patchbot.sagemath.org/log/0/Ubuntu/18.04/x86_64/4.15.0-20-generic/petitbonum/2018-05-27%2021:55:21?plugin=docbuild

Apparently, we are not so far to manage building the documentation. Two
important issues, responsible for many errors in docbuilding:

(A) fix some heavy problem of hash in the manifolds code,
see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25393

(B) need to reactivate the build of sagenb in python3 :
see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22431

Ticket 22431 above need people to check (1) that the upgraded sagenb works
smoothly on python2 and (2) that sage3 still builds and starts after
building sagenb.

(note that even after 22341, sagenb will not work in sage3, due to some
missing parts of twisted, that require upgrading twisted.)

Does somebody care ?

Frédéric