On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 9:51:21 AM UTC+1, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2017-10-18 03:08, William Stein wrote:
> > The choice for users installing the Sage binary is between:
>
> So you are worried about *binaries*? Are there any distros that we ship
> binaries for that *don't* have a systemwide OpenSSL installed by default?

there used to be the case with OSX that their systemwide OpenSSL was
outdated. This is however no
longer then case, at least on OSX 10.12. There still could be some
headaches with absence of proper certificates
installed on OSX (something fixable, I guess, but I'm not sure how), at
least with my very limited understanding of the situation there.