Le mercredi 18 octobre 2017 20:36:47 UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :

> On 2017-10-18 19:02, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> > This option commits us to maintain (unnecessary and dangerous, IMHO)
> > Sage-specifc SSL patches at least in R, Python and pip
>
> Really? Which Sage-specific SSL patches does this require in Python and
> pip? *
>

>From the Python license <https://docs.python.org/2.7/license.html#openssl>
>page
:

The modules hashlib
<https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/hashlib.html#module-hashlib>, posix
<https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/posix.html#module-posix>, ssl
<https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/ssl.html#module-ssl>, crypt
<https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/crypt.html#module-crypt> use the
OpenSSL library for added performance if made available by the operating
system. Additionally, the Windows and Mac OS X installers for Python may
include a copy of the OpenSSL libraries, so we include a copy of the
OpenSSL license here:

ISTR that last year update of Python (to which you contributed mightily)
bumped on SSL issues. But my memories are foggy.

And, BTW, "our" pip is partially nonfunctional, thanks (among other) to SSL
issues. So it *should* be patched.

> It seems to me that R is the only package causing us so much trouble
> with SSL.

No : **I** cause "so much trouble" with SSL issues because they become
important to R real-world usage, and I do not think that a
non-communicating R is useful in Sage.  Python/pip SSL usage do not cause
"so much trouble" with SSL issues because the potential users of SSL
functionalities are more patient than I am...

--
Emmanuel Charpentier