On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>
> wrote:
>> On 2017-10-19 17:21, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not think that a
>>> non-communicating R is useful in Sage.
>>

>> A non-communicating R in Sage can be very useful if you are not using R in
>> Sage at all (which is very likely the vast majority of Sage users).
>
> Or, as you and I have both pointed out, you *are* using R but would
> prefer to use a different download method than the one built into R
> (which may still use HTTPS, especially if it's necessary to access
> CRAN at all, but that doesn't mean R has to be the one doing the
> downloading).

Doing a little more research on this*, it seems that R can in fact
perfectly well install packages from compressed tarballs, etc.
(through the UI, importantly).  For downloading files it actually
supports multiple download methods, one of which is to use libcurl
(which can be built without HTTPS support; I've done so myself).  But
it also has a built-in "internal" method which may be part of the
problem.  If that can't be built without SSL support then that needs
to be fixed.  Finally, it also supports pointing to alternative
package repositories which may or may not use HTTPS.

Naturally, for the "average" user we *do* want to support transparent
package installation from CRAN with HTTPS support which is why the
OpenSSL issue needs to be resolved.  But assuming that R *can* be
built without SSL, and can work without SSL, that is acceptable too
especially for users who know what they're doing and don't need the
SSL support.  I suggest that this be allowed to proceed, just with a
loud warning (as Thierry suggested).  I'll have a look at your patch
to see what it's doing and if such a patch really needs to be
maintained or not...

* https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/utils/versions/3.4.1/topics/INSTALL

https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/utils/versions/3.4.1/topics/install.packages
  https://www.rdocumentation.org/link/download.file?package=utils&version=3.4.1