On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:17 AM Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>
wrote:

> Another very relevant question: are pickles supposed to be
> hardware/OS-independent? In other words: can I take a pickle from one
> machine and unpickle it on a different machine (assuming that the
> software version is the same)?

Not necessarily.    Pickle is *the* canonical extensible object
serialization system for Python.   It’s of course very extensible in that
users can define how objects pickle, eg by defining a dunder reduce
method.  As such they can of course make that method store output in any
binary format they want.

Example: look at some of the cython matrix code I mentioned above.  I hope
it is architecture neutral as written, but I’m sure you could easily
imagine how to write something similar that isn’t.

- William

-- William Stein