On 2017-10-29, David Roe <roed.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that removing pickles from 6+ years ago is a good idea.
>
> I do think, however, that the idea of being able to save objects between
> versions of Sage is valuable.  And we need some way to test it.  Maybe we
> could move to some sort of rolling pickle jar, where we allow deprecations
> after a certain amount of time?

Does the following make sense?

Some patchbot could be used to build (one after the other)
old-but-not-too old versions of SageMath. In SageMath version
x-y-z, the original pickle jar is opened and then saved in
version x-y-z. So, we would create *several* (say, n) versions
of the pickle jar, and in the best case each Sage version
would be available on m machines with different architecture.

The above has to be done *once*, resulting in m*n pickle jar
versions.

As part of the release process of a new version of SageMath,
a new version of the pickle jar is created by some patchbots
on m different machines and replaces the m oldest versions of
the pickle jar.

Thus, one has a rolling pickle jar in m*n versions.

The m*n-fold pickle jar should not pollute the SageMath sources.
In that way, a new pickle jar version wouldn't result in a new
to-be-merged git commit. Instead, the jar should only be stored
on some SageMath servers.

It should be tested by our test bots (i.e. the machines
connected to trac tickets) whether all m*n versions of the pickle
jar unpickle, *and* whether all m*n versions of the same unpickled
object actually evaluate equal. It would just (to some extent)
test both machine independence and backwards compatibility.

However, that test would *not* remain part of the test suite that
is executed by a user doing "sage -t". It is a test for test
bots only.

Best regards,
Simon