On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:26 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Frédéric Chapoton <fchapot...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> We have currently 115 such positive-reviewed tickets waiting for inclusion,
>
> Maybe the release manager could use some assistance? Or we could
> rotate to more release managers like we used to do for many years...

Two things that would be helpful and more like "most" open source
projects (quotes because I have no data to back this up, but from
experience):

a) Have a normal "bleeding edge" master branch into which all accepted
changes are immediately merged--no waiting (for developers) to get a
development "release" before getting new changes in.

b) More people who can merge into master--while it makes sense to have
one "release manager" responsible for keeping a schedule and ensuring
stability of the release (including occasionally putting on hold big
changes that might hold up a release), it also makes sense to have
multiple delegates of approving and merging changes in different areas
of the code, helping to set priorities, and triaging.  This can be
entrusted to multiple people with the help of guidelines to make sure
they check all the right boxes when approving a change.  For example:
http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/development/workflow/maintainer_workflow.html
 .  CPython has a similar document I've seen before, but I can't find
it at the moment, as do many other large projects.  I believe Sage
might too...