Your email was quite long so I'll just reply bit by bit...

On 2017-12-08 15:56, Erik Bray wrote:
What you really
want is to have some set of "core maintainers", possibly with
different responsibilities for different areas of the code depending
on their expertise.  And a sign-off from one of them (plus positive
results of continuous integration and other checklist items) means the
change should be merged.

De facto, we already have a set of core maintainers, each looking after a specific part of the code. For example, I would call you one of the core maintainers for build issues and Python 3. We could formalize this, but again: I don't think that there is a problem to be solved here.

The thing you put in parentheses "(plus positive results of continuous integration and other checklist items)" is the difficult part. In my release manager days, that was certainly the bottleneck.

And
a single release manager can't be a subject-matter expert on all
topics either, nor have a 100% top-down view of what to
prioritize

Is that needed? I would argue that it's not the job of the release manager to understand the subject matter of the individual tickets. He just needs to collect tickets, make a release and test it.