On 09/02/18 15:07, Simon Brandhorst wrote:

The application I have in mind is to create an abstract base class for group homomorphisms of libgap groups. And if we want to compute the inverse image of a subgroup, then this should be decided by the method "is_subgroup".

A bit off-topic, but after having group homomorphisms, it will be very nice to have a method to compute the automorphism group of a group G which better than:

G._gap_().AutomorphismGroup() or
libgap(G).AutomorphismGroup()

The same goes as to create methods for the inner automorphism group, the outer automorphism group and the holomorph. One motivation is just examples in a group theory course, but obviously there many other.

Regards,
TB