On 2018-03-12 23:07, Nils Bruin wrote:
Your example doesn't convince me at all that we need this change though.
You should only consider making a change if you have a real-world
example that would significantly benefit and if you can show that
degradation in other normal use is minimal. A simplistic "timeit"
statement, although instructive, does not necessarily illustrate
real-world usage.

I can imagine a small function constructing a matrix (for which it needs to construct the MatrixSpace) to do some computation but not keeping that matrix in memory. For example, the output of that function could be the determinant of the matrix. If this function is called from a loop, you end up in the scenario that I described.