> I thought I'd try Sage for a casual computation. I was interested in which
> numbers of the form (2^n - (-1)^n)/3 are prime. I first tried out n=23:
>
> sage: (2^23+1)/3
> 2796203
> sage: _.is_prime()
> False
> sage: factor(2796203)
> 2796203
>
> It turns out that Rational.is_prime does not exist and the fallback gives
> false answers.

As a side note, I agree that is_prime and not .is_prime() is much, much
more likely for a casual user to do.

> There was always the notion that you shouldn't "team up" for ticket
> review. I'm now breaking it.

Not at all; there are many fruitful tickets that have had two authors/two
reviewers that reviewed each others' changes.  It is hard to get some stuff
done otherwise.  Hopefully other developers and the release manager can
make sure nothing really egregious like pi == 3 returning True happens, and
in practice it has worked well for getting things in that has fewer
developers able to review.

> If YOU are interested in fixing the above or similar problems please mail
> me. There are also about 25 calculus tickets from me waiting for review.
> But probably noone is really interested in that either. The algebraists can
> have their Sage back. Good job.

Yes, that is a real shame.  I will apologize again for simply not being
able to do Sage review or development beyond a minimum for several years
now.  Certainly people are interested in it working, and you have put in
huge amounts of work in making Pynac continue to be viable, for which our
thanks are due.  But those who feel competent to review such tickets are
probably less thick on the ground than a little while ago.

That has always been an issue for our development model - reviewing code is
one thing, reviewing *math* seems to get people to actively self-deselect
from reviewing if it's not their specialty.  I've seen this happen many,
many times, though of course not as much among the most-often posting
members of this list.  My answer is to get your undergrad/grad students to
get things wet by trying those!