On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Jordan Argyle <jordana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes sense--thank you! I think the Intel Compiler flag comes from the
> fact that I have a customized compiler through a program called MOOSE, and
> they all dev on macs, so the compiler may be trying to use their settings.
>
> I was introduced to Sage through the VirtualBox appliance available online
> (http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/sage/ova/index.html). I wanted to recreate that, but
> fix the problems with LaTeX (so that I can export a PDF, for example). I
> have been hacking in the terminal of that VirtualBox for a while to try to
> adjust LaTeX installs, add additional kernels, etc, but have found it too
> messy and difficult. So, I have been following the more "standard" install
> procedures for Jupyter installed through Conda, and hoped I could attach
> Sage that way.

I mean, there are also binary builds of Sage for Linux, OSX, and
Windows (via Cygwin), so you may be able to install any one of them
depending on your platform; e.g.
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/binary.html
(incidentally the section on there for Windows is outdated--I need to
fix that).

There was an official Debian package for Sage that was mostly working,
but there hasn't been regular-enough maintenance on it to keep it
working, something some of us are hoping to fix sometime...

There's no reason necessarily to install Jupyter in a conda
environment either--that's not necessarily any more "standard" than
using your system's package installer--that said it's probably the
best way to install the most recent Jupyter in a way that's consistent
across platforms.  If you wanted to install Sage in conda the best way
would be to use the existing conda package for Sage and, if there are
problems with that, to report those problems and keep things focused
on maintaining the existing conda porting effort.

> With that in mind, what would you recommend for me to try first? Is the best
> way to do this the conda package? Would that be connected to my global LaTeX
> install? Or should I just install the binaries, and connect it to my Jupyter
> install al la this link...I'm not sure how to replicate the install in the
> OVA, and I'm not sure of the best way to approach this, which is why I asked
> here. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm not exactly sure what blocker is--you seem to be talking about two
issues: Using the Sage kernel in Jupyter, and using an existing LaTeX
distribution with Sage.  Both are certainly possible. For the LaTeX
installation it should work so long as the relevant executables such
as pdflatex and maybe dvi2png and such can be located on the $PATH.  I
feel like somewhere there must be better existing documentation on
exactly what the requirements are. Somebody else might know better.