On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Travis Scrimshaw wrote:

Heisenfailures are very difficult to debug: One run, doctests fail. You make
a small tweak (one that changes the random seed), which you think fixes the
issue, and then tests pass. However, if it is a random test, then you have
no idea if you have fixed the problem or not.

True, we should somehow save the random seed used and give it with a failure notice.

I have done something to help random testing:

    sage: from sage.tests.finite_poset import test_finite_lattice
    sage: L = posets.RandomLattice(10, 0.98)
    sage: test_finite_lattice(L) is None  # Long time
    True

We could check, for example, that matrix AB is invertible iff both A and B are, and so on.

 * * *

Another thing, should we try to classify bugs we found? I mean that could we get insight of places to look for possible other bugs?

--
Jori Mäntysalo