On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 8:58 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> For me, the number 1 thing that our Trac server does better than GitHub
> (again, I don't know about GitLab) is that the "branch" field is
> mutable: an issue is just a pull request without a branch and I can
> change the branch on a pull request to add a reviewer patch (sometimes
> it's easier to add a patch myself instead of explaining to the author
> what he should do).

I agree--this is one of my biggest complaints.  I'm not sure why this
isn't possible.  It might have something to do with tracking comments
but even that can't be the case.  On GitHub it's already perfectly
possible to force a push that completely replaces the original branch.
Any source comments that can no longer be associated with a line in
the patch are still visible on the issue's timeline, but just marked
being a comment on outdated code.  So if they already do this I'm not
sure why the branch itself isn't mutable.

Interestingly, GitLab allows you to modify the *target* branch of a
merge request, but not the source branch.  The opposite would seem
more useful to me.

Anyways, while I also like this aspect of Sage's Trac, it's something
I could live without.  If we can express a good use case for it, we
might even be able to get such a feature into GitLab--we'd have a
better chance there than with GitHub at least.

Really the workflow is meant to be you create an issue first, and then
you create one or more pull requests to resolve that issue.  I am also
a fan of being able to "elevate" an issue to a pull request.  This is
possible to do on GitHub through the web API and I have a script I use
for it, but they're trying to discourage that, and I think even
deprecate the ability to do so.  I'm mystified as to why.

But at the same time pull requests are cheap, and there's no harm in
making them.

> And I agree that custom fields are also very useful: I always find using
> GitHub labels quite messy. And things like "dependencies" simply cannot
> be handled using labels.

GitLab has the ability to add "related issues" to an issue.  I haven't
used that feature so I don't know how useful it is by comparison.\

Anyways, I would prefer to leave the rest of this discussion for
another time, and keep this focused just on enabling merge requests /
pull requests.  I think that is undeniably a more accessible way for
new contributors to make their first contributions.