On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 7:36:52 AM UTC-7, William wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 3:45 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:21 AM Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Afair the Sage foundation is a US non-profit with the necessary
> accounting busywork graciously provided by UW; So I'm sure there is similar
> reporting thats either published or available to the public.
> >

> Let me try a rough attempt at answering some of the questions in this
> thread.  Please ask followup questions or let me know if this is
> helpful.  We could then add some version of this to the sagemath.org
> website.
>
> More precisely the "Sage Foundation" is really just the name of a
> donation account (a budget number) at University of Washington. That's
> it.  UW itself is some sort of not-for-profit (though not a 501(c)3),
> so when people donate they can get a tax deduction.
>
> For the last few years, the main purpose of the Sage foundation has been:
>
>  - accept donations from an anonymous retired person and a Microsoft
> Research to fund "Women in Sage" workshops,
>  - accept a couple of small "random" donations, which for a couple of
> years have gone entirely to funding "The Sage booth" at math
> conferences (e.g., JMM and Mathfest), where a couple of us talk to
> hundreds of people who stream by.  These donations are often on the
> order of a total of $50-$100/month, but it adds up, and sometimes
> there is occasionally more.
>
> One very nice aspect of this arrangement is that Univ of Washington
> does not charge anything at all for
> operating this account.  So when somebody donates $50, we get to fully
> spend that $50.  E.g., when there
> is a women in sage workshop, there's a ton of paperwork by UW involved
> in reimbursing everybody, and this
> is just done for free.
>
> Another possibly relevant data point (in case I were to leave UW) is
> probably the Chair of the UW math department
> right now is John Palmieri, who is also a Sage developer.

Yes, and we're happy to accept donations in any amount, to the Sage
foundation fund or to any of a number of other funds, if you want to
support other efforts of the UW math department. (I can give you a
prioritized list, if you're interested :) And as chair of the department, I
am in charge of the funds, to answer Frédéric's question, and note that I
am legally bound to use them according to the fund's description and in
ways that are appropriate for a not-for-profit institution. (I am not in my
office now, so I can't look up the description right now, but it probably
just says "To support the development of the mathematical software system
SAGE," as it does on the donation page.) Also, I would defer to William
about how to use it (since he is one of our faculty members, and the
department set up the fund to help his work on Sage); I do not plan to use
it without asking him, and if he has a valid use for it, I would approve it.

As far as I know, there are no published reports of how the funds are used.
This is not because it is secret – legally, I think the use of the funds
should be public knowledge – but rather because there are so many of them.
Our department might have 50 different funds to which people can donate
(various scholarship funds for undergraduates, fellowship funds for
graduates, funds for endowed professorships, general purpose funds, highly
specialized funds, and multiples of each of these types), and if you
extrapolate to the rest of the university and imagine publishing a report
for each one, it gets out of control very quickly. If William's answer is
not good enough, I can ask our departmental administrator for all of the
recent uses of the Sage foundation money.

  John