On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:18:50 AM UTC-4, rjf wrote:

> I assume that other research universities work about the same as at UC
> Berkeley.  Anyone can donate money to a professor's research activities
> with a designation something like "to support Prof X's research in the
> area of ABC".  It is monitored by the university, but such "various donors"
> funds are typically more flexible than (say) money from a federal
> contract, where budget categories like "hardware" and "travel" may
> be more rigidly defined.  Perhaps the concept here is mostly an
> alternative name for
> "The various donors fund of Prof William Stein, for research in some field
> of mutual interest"

As far as I can tell things have always been used specifically for
Sage-specific activities.  Now that CoCalc is essentially doing the Sage
booth, perhaps it would not be appropriate to use Sage Foundation funds to
fund that booth, but in the past that was a very appropriate use (if I
understand the nature of the current booth correctly, which I may not).
 Certainly sponsoring various Sage development activities such as Women in
Sage or perhaps others sounds great.  I don't know that it is as vague here
as "some field of mutual interest".

For reference to newcomers, in the past there was discussion of setting up
a "proper" Sage Foundation under US (or other) nonprofit law but William
and others looked into the amount of work and/or likelihood of approval and
deemed it to be insurmountable.   Certainly R and probably other similar
mathematical FLOSS does have foundations (even the OEIS!) but I don't know
whether they are in different situations.  If anyone knows folks from one
of these and would be interested in reviving that discussion that would be
great, but keep in mind that the accounting issues are a significant
administrative burden to *someone*.  If we thought donations might
significantly increase with a different model that might be worth looking
into.