On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 3:29 PM Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> So the bulk of the time is spent converting the Pari object back into a Sage
> object; mainly, this line:
>
> U = self.matrix_space(ncols = self._nrows)([v[0][i,j] for i in
> xrange(self._nrows-1,-1,-1) for j in xrange(self._nrows)])
>
> which has 1000x1000 calls to extra the data and then has to be reconstituted
> into a matrix object. I am not sure if there is a way around this. It might
> just be a by-product of outsourcing the computation.

Thanks for boiling this down to the bottleneck.  It can probably be
made much faster.   Instead of doing

v[0][i,j],

which  probably involves at least two complicated pari calls, is there
a way to convert v[0] to a Python list in one call? If not, one could
add an optimized way to do so.  Then convert that list to a matrix in
sage.

William (http://wstein.org)