On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:19 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2018-11-29 10:38, E. Madison Bray wrote:
> > But I sometimes get failures in tests depending on which order the
> > *files* were run in.  That's what I'm talking about.
>
> But that's really unusual (and unrelated to --randorder).

I guess I misunderstood what --randorder does.  I thought it would
just randomize the order in which files were tested but apparently it
randomizes doctests within a file (and if so, what's the point of
that?)  I think from docstring to docstring at least there should be
better test isolation.

> Do you have
> *any* concrete example of such a failure?

Not at the moment but I've had it before: For example, a test might
pass if I ran `./sage -t -a`, but fail if I just ran `./sage -t
src/sage/some_subpackage`.   Usually when this has come up I didn't
bother to investigate further.