On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:25 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2018-11-28 09:17, E. Madison Bray wrote:
> > +1 There are several tests which, when run in an unusual order, result
> > in random failures.  This is obviously a failure of test isolation if
> > nothing else, and such cases *should* be rooted out and fixed.
>
> It's not a failure of "test isolation" if nobody ever claimed that tests
> *are* isolated. The only way to really have test isolation is to run a
> separate process for each test. We already do that for separate files,
> but not for individual tests.

But I sometimes get failures in tests depending on which order the
*files* were run in.  That's what I'm talking about.  You'd think that
shouldn't happen but it can: especially since some tests do things
like write to or read resources from the user's .sage directory.  By
test isolation I don't just mean isolation of tests from each other,
but also from their environment (through which tests *can* become
entangled and subject to non-local interactions :)