With a Python 3 build of Sage on OS X 10.14.6, I decided to install as many
optional and experimental packages as I could. The results:

*Optional:*

- the following packages failed to build, and the reason wasn't completely
obvious:

awali
buckygen
cbc
gambit
gdb
mpi4py

- the following packages failed because they (or their installation
scripts) are not compatible with Python 3:

beautifulsoup
brian
guppy
mercurial
p_group_cohomology (but work is in progress)
pyx
scons
trac

- the following packages failed at first, but built after installing some
prerequisities:

deformation — requires installation of mpir
dot2tex — requires Graphviz
rst2ipynb — requires pandoc

- I skipped the following packages:

atlas (installation is skipped on OS X)
python2 (I wanted to use a pure Python 3 build)

- Every other optional package built.

*Question/Proposal:* do we demote the failed packages to experimental? (Not
deformation, dot2tex, or rst2ipynb, also not p_group_cohomology because it
is just about ready for py3, but the others.) I plan to do this unless
there are objections.

*Experimental:*

- the following failed to build:

autotools
cocoalib
libtheora
polymake
qepcad
scipoptsuite
surf
valgrind

- the following succeeded:

gap3
lie
modular_decomposition
perl_term_readline_gnu

polymake succeeded but only after installing the perl JSON package. (Why is
jupymake optional and polymake experimental? jupymake has polymake as a
dependency, and optional packages should not depend on experimental
packages.)

- I skipped the following:

compilerwrapper — when I install this, it breaks the Sage library: after
touching any .pyx file, "sage -b" or "make" fails with an error about ld.

*Doctesting:*

Then I ran `make ptestalllong`. There were lots of "internet" failures.
Otherwise:

- failures in one file because of rst2ipynb
- failures in two files because of dot2tex
- failures in one file because of latex
- failures in one file because of gap_packages (reported by Emmanuel
Charpentier on sage-release many times)

Other than the internet problems, not too bad.

--
John