You're right. You need to request a trac account. Once you have been
granted a username, then authenticate your trac account via SSH and finally
link your public key to it. See the following for details on how to do that.
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/trac.html#chapter-sage-trac

Note: you can comment on tickets without authenticating through SSH, but if
you want to commit code, you will need to do this first.

Best,
Arpit.