Hi,

I guess the best way to have an idea of what the project is is to have a
look at how polynomials are implemented in Sage, what underlying libraries
are used, how they are interfaced and so on.
You'll see it is quite a mess with classes mostly relying on one low level
C library but also calling functions from other C libraries for specific
methods.
This is nor clean nor really optimized, a lot of time is lost converting
btw the binary format the different libraries are expecting.

Best,
JPF