On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:22 PM kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That's expected.  The package build directory is under SAGE_LOCAL
>> ($SAGE_LOCAL/var/tmp/sage/build/gap-4.10.0.p0) but the file's
>> destination path ($SAGE_LOCAL) is appended to this.  This is how it's
>> supposed to work (DESTDIR installation).
>>
>> It's probably too late to diagnose now (though it would be good if you
>> could give steps to reproduce).
>

> Yeah, unfortunately my main goal was getting a working Sage install, so the
> evidence has been eliminated, so to speak.
>

>>  But the question is what type of file
>> was
>>
>> /Users/karl.crisman/Downloads/sage/local/./share/gap/bin/x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-default64/src
>>
>> that it refuses to overwrite because it was supposedly a directory?
>

> I can tell you a rough answer to that, after my most recent upgrade the name
> of the directory seems to have changed slightly though:
>
> $ ls -l
> ~/Downloads/sage/local/share/gap/bin/x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-default64-kv3/
>
> total 32
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 karl.crisman  78570554  18 Aug 14 14:39 config.h ->
> ../../gen/config.h
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 karl.crisman  78570554   9 Aug 14 14:39 gac -> ../../gac
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 karl.crisman  78570554   9 Aug 14 14:39 gap -> ../../gap
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 karl.crisman  78570554   9 Aug 14 14:40 src -> ../../src
>

>> The GAP package installs a *symlink* at the path
>> $SAGE_LOCAL/share/gap/bin/<platform-triplet>/src
>>

> So yes, that is what seems to be happening.
>

>> When you upgrade GAP, first of all, it should be *uninstalling* the
>> previous gap package, so this link should just be removed.  The
>> question is was it a symlink for you in the first place?
>

> Apparently.

There was a bug fixed just a few months ago related to this:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27589

Symbolic links were not being removed properly.  They should be now,
though.  It's possible just from an older install something was left
behind.  Who knows...

>>  Or an actual
>> directory?  When you run `make clean-gap` does it get removed?
>>

> Is that something I can do from within Sage?  I didn't know that was a make
> target for us.   My assumption is that the symlink was not removed or it
> wouldn't have complained.

My mistake, that should be `make gap-clean`.  But yes, you can do that
from the base of SAGE_ROOT.  This also happens when you force
re-isinstall a package as with `./sage -f gap`.