> FWIW, on Debian testing running on core i7 + 16 GB RAM,
> upgrading 9.6.beta1 to 9.6.beta3 and running ptestlong
>gets me one temporary failure :
>
> ... src/sage/schemes/cyclic_covers/cycliccover_finite_field.py  # 1 doctest
> failed
>
> and one permanent failure :
>
> ... src/sage/graphs/graph.py  # 1 doctest failed
>
> The second one seems to be numerical noise :

> File "src/sage/graphs/graph.py", line 8586, in
> sage.graphs.graph.Graph.effective_resistance
> Failed example:
>     H.effective_resistance(1, 5, base_ring=RDF)
> Expected:
>     1.20000...
> Got:
>     1.1999999999999997

Taken care of by Sage Trac ticket 33427:

  numerical noise in effective_resistance involving RDF
  https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33427

where a fix already has been positively reviewed.

> but I have no easy explanation for the first (temporary) one,
> whose ptestlong.log record is as follows :

> File "src/sage/schemes/cyclic_covers/cycliccover_finite_field.py", line 1139,
> in
> sage.schemes.cyclic_covers.cycliccover_finite_field.CyclicCover_finite_field.frobenius_polynomial
> Failed example:
>     CyclicCover(11, PolynomialRing(GF(1129), 'x')([-1] + [0]*(5-1) +
> [1])).frobenius_polynomial() # long time
> Exception raised:
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "sage/misc/cachefunc.pyx", line 1943,
>       in sage.misc.cachefunc.CachedMethodCaller.__call__
>       (build/cythonized/sage/misc/cachefunc.c:10410)
>         return cache[k]
>     KeyError: ((11,), ())
>
>     During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>     SystemError: calling remove_from_pari_stack() inside sig_on()
> 1 item had failures:
>    1 of  60 in
> sage.schemes.cyclic_covers.cycliccover_finite_field.CyclicCover_finite_field.frobenius_polynomial
>
> Of note : this ptestlong run, on a lightly loaded laptop freshly rebooted,
> entailed a very high use of memory : it used about 18 GB of swap file
> above the 16 GB of RAM. I don’t remember seeing such a high
> RAM usage during ptestlong of the previous versions.

Was that while testing the same file

  src/sage/schemes/cyclic_covers/cycliccover_finite_field.py

that ended up causing a system error? Or you could have hit
something similar to the issue reported at Sage Trac ticket 33363:

    (Too) long doctest in sage/matrix/matrix_integer_dense.pyx
    https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33363

where a test could sometimes take extremely long (the ticket
does not comment on the memory usage in that case).