On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM,  <madison.mich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.  Was this the type of CPU that this binary was supposed to work for
> (having sse2 and not sse3)?

Maybe.  But the issue might not be just sse3.

> 2. Is Sage migrating to work on only modern duel core CPUs?  I have
> compiled Sage 3.4 on an older processor Ubuntu linux notebook and it
> worked. Is this going away?

No. No.  You can run Sage on nearly any CPU if you build from source.

> 3.  Can I compile Sage using a vmware player or do I need to upgrade
> vmware to compile Sage?

You can compile sage.  Just delete /usr/local/sage, then download
sage-3.4.1, extract it, move it to be /usr/local/sage, and
type make.   Wait a few hours.  That's precisely how I made the
current /usr/local/sage directory.

> 4.  Can start from the failed installation of sage-vmware-sse2-3.4.1
> and do a native compile?

Yes.

> 5.  Can I do "sudo apt-get install" of the software components I need
> to compile Sage in vmware?

You don't need any extra software components to compile sage in vmware.

> It seems some of us using windows XP are locked out of using Sage 3.4,
> but we don't understand what the road block is.

I don't think Windows XP is relevant.    It's your old processor.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics