William,  Thanks I was able to compile sage 3.4.1 on my XP machine
starting from sage-vmware-sse2-3.4.1, which had failed work from the
binary, by following your directions.

For people that might know even less about linux than me the steps I
took were:

At the login type: login
The Passward is: sage
then type: