On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
"ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:

> BTW: When looked at this problem, the notation D[0](alpha)(r)^2  seems
> to be unusual to me.
> Is it possible to fix sage so that it prints derivatives of functions
> in one variable
> as usual: alpha'(r) ?

There is a patch attached to #6344 to change printing to alpha'(r) in
latex mode. The syntax alpha'(r) would not be accepted on the command
line without modifying the preparser, so normal printing is still a
variant of the D notation.

We can switch to using the diff notation when the function takes only
one argument which is a symbol. As Maple does here:

maple: diff(f(x),x);
diff(f(x),x)
maple: diff(f(x,x),x);
D[1](f)(x,x)+D[2](f)(x,x)
maple: diff(f(x^2),x);
2*D(f)(x^2)*x

> And is it possible to get sin^2(x) ans (alpha'(r))^2 in LaTeX output
> instead of sin(x)^2 and y'(r)^2?

I don't think sin^2(x) is possible, (y'(r))^2 can be done. If we switch
to that notation, I can make the necessary changes in pynac.

Thanks.

Burcin