On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Harald Schilly wrote:
>> On Nov 23, 4:51 pm, Carlos Córdoba <ccordob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think it's a bit cumbersome to download 400-500 gigs
>>> and uncompress this big tarball every month - two months, especially for
>>> people with old computers, small hard drives and/or who live in developing
>>> countries where internet connections are not too good.
>>
>> There are several problem, for example, there are different builds for
>> all kinds of linux distributions and systems. It's hard enough to do
>> the binaries, even harder to rip this apart into smaller parts for
>> differential updates. One "easy" possibility would be to untar the
>> older and the newer binary distribution, do a binary diff across all
>> files - which has to be some intelligent diff program - and provide
>> the compressed differentials. I don't know if this would be of any
>> help or how good it will work in practice.
>>

> What if we just keep build directories on sage.math?  Then people can
> use rsync to update their binary installations, which is an "intelligent
> binary diff program providing compressed differentials".
>
> So we can just have a directory sagemath.org/SUSE-binary-installation/
> that is a direct copy of the build directory on the SUSE virtual
> machine.  To update, people would just use rsync to update their local
> copy with that directory.

Brainstorming for problems:

 (1) The first "warning" is that no other distributions do upgrades
this way.  There may be a reason.

 (2) There are 25 binaries (at least) for each release.  Doing what
you suggest requires storing them uncompressed, which would take about
50GB of disk space and could be some work to maintain (though not that
bad).

 (3) Any changes or customizations the user makes anywhere to their
sage install will be *deleted*.

I think (3) is perhaps the biggest issue.

William