Thanks for all this feedback.  In the event, the specific reason I
wanted to have this was for a presentation where the idea would be one
could "just use" R, which has a lot of undergraduate resources/texts
available, not necessarily to plot my own histograms or use the new
stats - since, if history is a guide, I am not an optimal person to
say anything meaningful about or use statistics!  But I still
appreciate the feedback, and definitely appreciate that it's possible
to load these packages after all, so thank you.

Not sure if it's optimal for Sage to include all these, of course, in
its R... but it still seems like it's a bug that
sage: r.install_packages('MASS')
doesn't work right off the bat.  Maybe there should even be an
r.install_recommended_packages() command which would do that, since we
wouldn't want to include all that data in Sage.

Is there any way to avoid this piece, or is it just because
rpy_classic is better than rpy2?

sage: import rpy2.rpy_classic as rpy
sage: r=rpy.r
sage: rpy.set_default_mode(rpy.BASIC_CONVERSION)

Sorry for all the questions.

- kcrisman