Are you talking about the postscript files produced by dvips?
You probably only installed a small subset of fonts, and scaling them
produces substandard results. It can also be that dvips is set up to
create 300 DPI (dots per inch) docs - this is easy to fix then (but
depends upon a particular setup).
You can try using -D option of dvips (with value 600, say)
HTH,
Dmitrii

--
Dmitrii Pasechnik