Dear all,

I am trying to implement a recursive algorithm that is rather complex,
in the sense that it uses a high number of variables and (elementary)
computations. The output in Sage looks fine but it gets quite slow, so
I am thinking of ways to speed it up. Given that it is mainly a lot of
looping and a lot of elementary computations, I would guess
translating it to Cython could help a lot.

However I am afraid that doubles won't have enough precision to avoid
too much numerical noise in the end result of the algorithm. So I
would like to use a higher precision real number representation. The
question is whether this is possible, and if so what is a sensible
choice? Could/Should I use mpmath e.g. or rather something else? What
I need to be doing, next to elementary computations, is:

- compute exponentials
- perform find_root's
- being able to store those real numbers in a few big Numpy-arrays.

I am very grateful for any hint!

Many thanks, Kees