On Oct 19, 3:05 pm, Laurent <moky.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Hi all
>
>    Sage's developer prescriptions is to use spaces and no tab. The
> default editor on the LiveCD uses TAB ... well.
>
>    I got some troubles with that when I used on the live cd a program I
> wrote in my normal editor.
>
>     More specifically, my user-case is that I had exercises with my
> students on the live cd (don't ask why;)[1]). I gave them a file in
> which most of the sage's code was already written; they only had to
> perform minor changes. The ones who used TAB got the error of
> inconsistent indentation due to mixing of TAB and spaces.
>
>    I think that the default configuration of the default editor on the
> live cd should make spaces when the TAB key is pressed.
>
> What do you think about ?
>
> Laurent
>
> [1] I don't want to denounce in which university you can boot public
> computers on a live cd.

Ok, this is a detail I had not thought of. So thanks for bringing it
up. In fact the default editor geany allows for easy change of the
indentation style
http://www.geany.org/manual/current/#indentation
it is as easy as to navigate to Document>Indent Type>Spaces in the
menu.

If you want to have spaces as default indent you have to edit the file
/root/.config/geany/geany.conf (.config is a hidden directory so click
on the eye symbol in the File manager).

I think it is enough to change the line 78 in
indent_type=0

then you could "remaster" the live CD image (maybe make some
additional changes like a customized default wallpaper or even include
some example worksheets)  before you distribute it.
I made a guide how to do this here:
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/doc/html/en/HOWTO-Advanced_Setup.html#Remaster_the_Live_CD_

This change will be in the next release of the Live CD
kind regards
emil