On 2012-03-31, Emil <emi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 March 2012 12:47, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it is of interest to an academic community then it probably should be
>> part of Sage ;-)
>
> I'm not against it being incorporated into Sage at some point, but
> right now I'd rather keep it as a separate package that people can
> install, and import if they want to use it; but if they don't it will
> not pollute the name space.... (It contains classes with quite generic
> names like Problem and Construction.)
>
> From what I can tell, I can use Python distutils, and I can get the
> SAGE_ROOT from environment variables, so that I can set the
> include_dirs for the Cython compilation. Then I just give people a tar
> ball and tell them to run sage -python setup.py.
>
> Does this sound a good strategy? Or would it be best to distribute an
> .spkg ? Can .spkg's install stuff into the site-packages directory
> outside the sage folder?
No, I don't think this is supported in any way, and this is not what
a Sage spkg would or should do. But surely, if you'd install your spkg
as a superuser you can overwrite anything, up to including "rm -rf /"
in your spkg-install...

Would would be the purpose of this?
It looks like a recipe for distaster.

> Also, is there any documentation on sage -pkg?
I assume you read this:
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_spkgs.html

sage -pkg just creates a compressed tarball and does few basic checks on
the consistency of mercurial repository.