Le jeudi 20 juin 2013 03:05:21 UTC+2, Ivan Andrus a écrit :

> Emmanuel,
>
> That seems really weird.

Indeed :-) It is even more weird than that : see after the answers to your
questions...

> Did previous versions of sage and/or sage-mode work?

Dunno : I started to switch to sage (from maxima) about 6 months ago, and I
started with the notebook (which has its points for learning re: online
documentation). Since I am a very *light* user of sage (my main profession
has little to do with pure math, and my original profession absolutely none
(even if we also work on hard roots:-)). I was veru fond of the imaxima
mode, and wanted to emulate this behaviour with sage.

> Can you start sage from the command line after it doesn't work from Emacs?

Yes. Never was a problem

> How are you launching Emacs, from within Sage perhaps?

Nope, the reverse : either "emacs -f sage" from the command line or M-x
sage from within emacs. The habit came to me by way of R and ESS...

> Do you exit Sage before exiting Emacs?

Yes.

> Do you do anything else "unusual"?

Most of my professional entourage find unusual (to say the least) to need
any form of symbolic math software... :-).

> What does your .emacs contain (especially sage related)?

See enclosed copy

> The best would be if you could give a minimal recipe starting from `emacs
> -Q`.

Won't do any good to you : my "(require sage "sage") is in my .emacs, which
won't get searchde when starting emacs with -Q flag.

The simplest way : start emacs from command line or from a gnome icon, type
"M-x sage" in the startum screen, and voilà : first time it works like a
charm, second time (= second emacs invocation) : a dead emacs.

Now for the weirder part : I observed this behaviour on two machines : a
"normal" desktop ang a large desktop used as a server. On a third machine
(a small notebook I bring with me almost everywhere), things work as
advertised. I can't for the life of me state what differs between these
machines re: sage and/or emacs. All of theme also have texlive, R and
maxima installations, all of them run Debian testing (updated often).

Heisenbug ?

Sincerely,

                                Emmanuel Charpentier