On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Szabolcs Horvát <szhor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why doesn't Sage have a reliable and easy to use StackExchange site instead
> of ask.sagemath.org?
>
> This is a very bad first experience for novice users and these types of
> problems could easily be avoided by using StackExchange.

Many people post Sage-related questions on math.stackexchange.com.
This search shows 488 results.

    http://math.stackexchange.com/search?q=sage

There are also 383 questions at mathoverflow involving sage:

    http://mathoverflow.net/search?q=sage

There is a high barrier to the creation of
http://sage.stackexchange.com; however, if anybody would like to lead
the charge, I can only strongly encourage you.

Should we have links somewhere to
http://math.stackexchange.com/search?q=sage and
http://mathoverflow.net/search?q=sage ?

> Being new to Sage, I looked at ask.sagemath.org twice.  The first time I did
> it did not work at all (the note said it was because of a troll, if I recall
> it right?). Today I registered there but it told me that new users are not
> allowed to post until upgrade (giving no indication how long that wait is).

It wasn't a troll -- it was extremely aggressive spammers posting
content on the site which, if the university were to notice it, they
would ban all Sage sites from the internet temporarily.  (Similar
things have happened multiple times in the past.)

 -- William

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington