Hi Jeroen,

On 2016-10-10, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
>> The metaclass of B1 is responsible for constructing the class X (in
>> particular, the metaclass of B1 can decide the metaclass of X). In
>> Python 3, the metaclass of X is resolved by a hard-coded algorithm
>> _PyType_CalculateMetaclass and then that metaclass constructs the class X.
>>
>> Of course, all this is completely undocumented.
>
> Seriously? That's a regression. Having single-purpose metaclasses that
> can smoothly blend would have been a nice feature.

I just tested that in the current Sage development version my
proof-of-concept would still work. And looking at
_PyType_CalculateMetaclass, I don't see why it wouldn't work in Python3.

Since it isn't on trac yet, I should open a ticket. So far, I was
unaware that the metaclass use has propagated in Sage, so that a proper
metaclass framework would make sense now.

Best regards,
Simon