(Repost, as the first message seems to have ended up in the wrong thread.)

Some years ago in a book review, David Roberts had the idea of plotting an algebraic curve using the transformation  (u,v) = (x,y)/(r^2  + x^2  + y^2 )^1/2 , which transforms the plane into a circle and makes it easy to visualize the projective completion of the curve. You can see some of his plots at https://www.maa.org/press/maa-reviews/rational-algebraic-curves-a-computer-algebra-approach <https://www.maa.org/press/maa-reviews/rational-algebraic-curves-a-computer-algebra-approach>

I’d love to do this kind of plot for my students. Can anyone offer help on how to do it with Sage? (Of course the dream scenario would be to add this option to the plot method for curves...)

I’ve been using implicit_plot for most of my examples, which seems to be equivalent of using C.plot() when C is a curve.

Thanks,

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901

Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?