Life In Saligao At the Moment And The Present Hindu Community.

In most aspects, life in Saligao has not change much. Though modernization has set in, it does not make itself evident. The older generation still walk or cycle to the ‘ tintto’ or market place with walking stick and hat, occasionally stopping to exchange a bit of news or greetings with a fellow villager. In many ways it continues to be a tight community, content to keep the village going amongst themselves with some programmes or the other throughout the year.

Activities among the hindus are centered around the new Sri Devi Xervani-Vetal temple and also at Sri Datt’tawari ( Salmona) and Sri Lakshiminarayan ( Mudd’davaddi) and Sri  Vetal ( Molebhatt) Temples. Every year the Hindus of the village keep 12th April as the birthday of Sri. Xervani.

On the reconstructed temple Shri Xervani-Vetal in Salmona, we read the following inscription in Marathi and is translated as follows: ‘ May Goddess Xervani-Vetal bless  us. The foundation laying ceremony of this temple was performed on 3-8-1994 at the hands of Dr. Wilfred D’Souza, Honourable Chief Minister of the Government of Goa’.

This re-constructed temple was inaugurated on 12-4-1996. Prayers were offered from 10. 45 a.m. They were attended by Mr. Anant. V. Petkar Salgaokar, the President of Devi- Xervani Panchayatan Sounstha, Salganv-vaddo, Advalpale, Assonora, Goa, who  would also run the affairs of the reconstructed temple with its committee, Mr. Mohan Sinai Salgaokar, a Brahmin member of the Sounsthan, Mr. Manohar Balagi Paynik of Asganv, representative of the Saligao settlers hindu community and a sizeable crowd. The puja was performed by a team of ‘ bhott’( hindu priests)especially brought for this occasion.

The inside of the temple is the same pre-Portuguese original structure where one notices a ‘ Roin’( white ant-hill) covered with a roof. The structure in front of the temple in new. The spot where the temple exists, according to Mr. Anant V. Petkar is called “ Diulachem Batta’. There is also a stage on temple premises. The date 12th April, 1996 is to be celebrated as the birthday of Sri Xervani  with big procession every year.  The temple was built with the help of Dr. Wilfred D’ Souza and donations from worshippers.

 The Deepa Stamba( lamp post) in front of the temple was built by Shirodkar brothers on 18-2-1986 and donated to Xervani-Vetal temple. They are worshippers of the temple. During my olden days they used to have nataks( dramas) which continue at present in the proximity of the various temples in Saligao . Hindu boys and girls frequent Mater Dei Institute and Lourdes Convent and are an asset to these Institutions. They are also members of the various football teams and Clubs like Saligao Sporting, Adarsh Y.Sangh and Saligao United. Some of them still till the land. I was happy to see some of my old hindu friends with ‘ boilanch gaddo’ and ‘boilanchem zott’ doing their rounds to gain their daily bread. ‘With these gains we have supported our families and build new houses’ said some of the hindu bretheren.

 Some villagers have even gone supplying water from Saligao wells to various enterprising houses and creating problems in the village. However this is  now  partially solved due to some good will. Building trust among the Christian-Hindu community is the aim of the villagers. When will this happen?…

Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas.

Vasco da Gama 21-06-2004