In Praise of St. Anne

Some early authorities, among them St. James the Less, give the name of Anne’s father as Akar and do not mention her mother’s name at all. French White Fathers, who have long been custodians of the church of St. Anne in Jerusalem, traditionally the site of the home of Anne and Joachim, approves the geneology which I am reproducing here. Akar descendant of Aron had two daughters Ismeria and Anne. Ismeria was born in 63B.C..She was the spouse of a person who offerred Sacrifice( of her tribe.)  Had a daughter called Elizabeth, born in the year 45 B.C., wife of Zacharia. They had a son named John The Baptist, born in the year 1.

 Anne , born in 55 B.C. was the wife of Joachim( of the tribe of Judah). They had a daughter called Mary born in the year 16 B.C( the Virgin Mother). They had a son named Jesus, born in the year 1.

                             Saint Anne

Hail pious mother, holy St Anne

Thy name falls sweetly on the Christian’s ear;

They call thee ‘ gracious’, chosen to prevail

By grace, throughout thy heav’nward journey here

Root of yon Branch, whose heav’nly blossoms sent

Wide o’er the earth the perfume of its breath;

Perennial fount, e’er spreading, never spent,

Lily of Jesse, Rose of Nazareth.

Hail mother of that Star which placid rose

Above the flood of death and sin and war;

The mother of our Queen whom Heaven chose

Spouse of the King of kings for evermore!

Receive our supplications, mother dear,

Who merited alone, of all mankind,

The honour to conceive, to nurse and rear

God’s stainless mother, for our joy designed.

Oh, never cease, we pray thee, to present

Before that Son and Mother our desire,

The King and Queen of yonder firmament ,

That happy home to which our souls aspire.

                                                       Pere Faber.

Compiled by Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas, Vasco-da-Gama, 25/07/2004.