WARDS OF SALIGAO ( BAIRROS OR VADDE ).

On 27th March1759, the Saligao Communidade convened a meeting of the Ganvkars to select ‘louvados para assistirem em pottes’( experts to assist in the registration) from each ward. According to the minutes of the years 1756 to 1760, the following are the wards mentioned in the books therein. They are Salmona, Arady, Santo Antonio, Dondo-vaddo, Molle-bata, Murdavady, Cotela, Vaddlem Marada and Dacutem Marada( Vide " Livro das Actas ou Assentos e Outros Servicos( 1756-1760), Communidade de Saligao,p. 99). Till these years there were only the above mentioned 9 wards.

As we unfurl other church documents we also find in Arady or Arrarim these sub-wards( vadde): Sonar-bhatt, Sequeira-vaddo, de Melo-vaddo, Cruz-vaddo, Abreu-vaddo, Nigvaddo, Marvaddo( Bairro Alto) . There was also Conceicao-vaddo in this are.

In Dakttem Morodd which is called Pequeno Morod we know a sub-ward there called Golletem whileVhoddlem( Oddlem) Morodd is also known as Grande- Morodd. In Cotula we had Vinan-vaddo( ward of carpenters, Vinnani)while in Mudd’davadi there was a sub-ward called Xinn-vaddo. We also notice Tabravaddo( should be Tavora-vaddo), besides Marod in Mollebhatt. In Don-vaddo there was Pauste-vaddo. In our days due to shifting of the population close to Aquem Spring a new ward has emerged known as Aquem Mollebhatt.( Vide, Property Documents of Saligao and Baptism Registers of the Igreja de Nagoa, Livros de Communidade de Saligao, Livro de Baptismos da Igreja de Saligao at Historical Archieves of Goa( HAG), Panaji and also Archive of the Communidade de Bardez in Mapuca, Archive of Communidade de Saligao at Saligao and also Vhapel and private Documents in Saligao))

Comments.The names of the sub-wards were there prior to 1756 documents, but they were merged in big wards and not registered as such. Arrarim consisted of sub-wards ,likeSonar-bhatt ( ward of the gold-smiths), Sequeira-vaddo( ward of the Sequeira), de Melo-vaddo( ward of the de Melos), Cruz-vaddo( ward of de Cruz), Abreu-vaddo( ward of de Abreu), besides Nigvaddo, Salmona and Mar-vaddo now called Bairro Alto( name emerging in Portuguese in late forties).

Also Portuguese names for the wards began to appear registered in documents during the years following 1760 ,like Grande Morodd, Pequeno Morodd, Tavora-vaddo, Aquem, Sequeira, Melo. Cruz, Abreu, certainly influenced to notaries knowing portuguese. Most original konkani names of wards like Vhoddlem Morada, Dacutem Maradda were changed to Grande- Morodd, Pequeno Morodd Cotela to Cotula.. Others sub-wards emerged with portuguese Surnames of the little communities dwelling therein as mentioned above.

Sonar-bhatt and Xinvaddo and Pauste-vaddo, Vinan-vaddo, Golletem too were there . They have retained there original konkani names though no one calls Xin-vaddo and Pauste-vaddo in out times..

There was corruption of ward names from Nagvaddo to Nig-vaddo, Tavora-vaddo into Tabra-vaddo, Dond-vaddo into Don-vaddo, Cotella became Khotla( Cotula) Murdavaddy to Mudd’da-vaddi and recently some call it specially the settlers, Mudd’da-vaddo,and finally Sinai-vaddo to Xinn-vaddo.

Santo Antonio, a ward before 1760. which probably existed near Santo Antonio Chapel(1850?) on Saligao-Betim Road in Sequeira-vaddo area,is no more in use, while the small ward close to house of Dr. Florecino de Souza and Souza Cordeiro in Nig-vaddo known as Conceicao- vaddo is also not in use. The names of these two were there in the Registers of Nagoa and Saligao and even Conceicao ward was there when Saligao Church was inaugurated in 1773, but not Anto Antonio.Hoewever they are in disuse now just like Xin-vaddo( or Sinai-vaddo) in Mudd’-vaddi though I knew it in my young days. To-day that too has gone as well as Daktti Mudd’da-vaddi and Voddli Medd’da-vaddi .

It would be interesting to get the property names of these sub-ward to see what there orignal names were like Soilem, from the sal ( latin,’ sorea robosta’) or sailo- tree area in Salmona with a Saileantlem kopel( chapel) as Mr. Seby D’Cruz tells us in the Parish Bulletim, Mariecho Ulo, of May-June,2000.

Today’s Saligao has the following wards: Salmona, Abreo-vaddo, Nig-vaddo, Bairro Alto, Cruz-vaddo, de Melo-vaddo, Sequeira-vaddo, Sonar-bhatt, Don-vaddo, Tabravaddo, Mollebhatt(-Akem Mollebhatt), Mudd’da-vaddi, Cotula, Grande Morodd, Pequeno Morodd ( Goletem).

Some may know about some original names of sub-wards like that of Tabravaddo( Tavora-vaddo) which was originally called in earlier times "Lamb Maddachem Bhatt" Kindly contribute to deepen our knowledge of wards. The history and significance of ward names and a little bit of history will cover future postings. Happy reading.

Compiled by Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas, Vasco da Gama.31-07-2004.