Wowow! Rich people in Donvaddo in times of yore, not so rich now!

 Posting by Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas on history of Don Vaddo I for the Saligaonet.
Continuing our history of Dondd, the term Donvaddo is derived from Dondd or Don, meaning tax-gatherer who obviously resided here. The other reference to the presence of Dhondd is the ‘Donnachi Baim’( the Dhondd’s well) situated in the center of the ward.
If one walks around` the vaddo’, one can see quite a number of large and spacious houses which have seen better days, the obvious inference here being the existence of rich people in Donvaddo……….

That's it! That is why grandpa used to keep telling the story of how all had big stomachs (men not women - funnily enough, he was lean - yeh I got that gene too ha ha! - in fact his stomach touched his back) - now I know why - tax collectors eh? means lots of money - so when one sees big bellies nowadays one says - "oh, sign of properity". Yes the "well" version also could be a reference, but I prefer the first version - & I like the inference, Fr. Nasciment - rich people. Wonder where the riches got to?

I'm off home now.  Hope you all had a restful weekend.

Ta ra
Annette